Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Unicef Run 2010

A quick timeout on the Thanksgiving cheer (those photos are on another camera) to get caught up on my blogging.

Check it out! Our post-race class photo!

This is the second year I've run the Unicef race around Disneyland, and the kick off to Jag Week 2010. A successful attempt at another year older, another year faster!

10 K
2009: 1:16:01
2010: 1:14:15

More pics and racy goodness after the jump.





Smiling at the starting line!

The Unicef Run 2009 is where it all got started. I won't go into all my issues with breathing and flat feet, but it was at that race last year that I overcame all that stuff and had a really fun run. I can do this!

Approaching the starting line... what's up with that guy on the left??!

I wanted to come back to this race, the week before my 30th birthday, and prove that older does not mean slowing down! I tricked a bunch of friends joining me under the guise of birthday celebrations. Hey, bottom line is it's for a good cause... good and good for you. Sometimes you need to do a little good in the world.

Just past the starting line, people stop to take pictures with Goofy! Oh Hong Kong.

The first 3k for me are always the hardest, and it didn't help that the first stretch of the race was boring road. On an incline. But once we got past that we had a nice view of Inspiration Lake. Much of this is closed to the public (and only for hotel guests?) so it was nice to take in the scenery.

After the lake we hit the coast, where it was just a tad warmer than comfortable. I could feel my right ear burning. But before we knew it, the race was over. Hello new personal best!

Hans and I post race. I'm super proud of her on her first race. She had the same fears I had last year, and she ended up doing great. All smiles at the finish line. We can do this!


My fellow Junk Shooters!




Final thoughts on the race
Even though I was faster than last year, I didn't realize it until 2 days later on my next run that I actually wasn't feeling too well at the race. Not bad, but not good. I think I over estimated myself. Since I can do 10k on any average night, I didn't baby myself as much as one should. I should have hydrated better, I should have had a better dinner. My stomach was a little off. I should have gone to bed earlier. I did ok but I could have done better.

This is a great race for anyone willing to try. There's a 3k family run (I'm going to guess it's super boring except maybe for the kiddo watching), the 10k, and a half marathon (which I would also guess would get boring after a while). You don't need to be an elite runner to participate. People stopped just after the starting line to get pictures with Goofy for chrissakes!

The course is mostly flat and pretty peaceful along the lake and sea. And the shirts and hats have improved since last year.

And just like last year, a major brunch follows the race! Stay tuned...

No comments: