Monday, January 03, 2011

Top Ten of 2010

I'm very sad to see 2010 go.  We had a good thing going.  But we can't be sad too long, there are too many adventures awaiting us in 20-1-1!

The top 10 moments of 2010 after the jump...
There were a lot of top moments in 2010.  My days are extra special because I keep good company.  But if I had to narrow the year down into ten defining moments, here they be:



10. Harmonicizing 
Ok, so it was the final days of 2009 when my dad taught me a few things on the harmonica, but it was in 2010 that I learned to play the blues.  One can't be happy ALL the time you know.  Sometimes it's nice to sing the blues in the dark, in the middle of the night (my neighbors may tell you a different story).  Sometimes it's nice to play a sad song in the middle of the desert.  Mostly, it's nice to carry a portable instrument because you never know when you may need it.  Like on a mountain top, or a bar in Wan Chai.

9. Olympics & World Cup
When sports as you know it is non existent in the Special Administrative Region where you live, desperate times call for desperate measures.  And nothing says good sportsmanship like an America Fuck Yeah shirt.  The Winter Olympics were not televised here (it was something complicated) but you could find certain events shown at bars.  The only event I watched was the USA vs Canada hockey games.  At a Canadian bar.  


And then came the World Cup, which gave us license to flash our American obnoxiousness, and drink into the wee hours for weeks.  This definitely added excitement to the summer.

8. Engagements
It's amazing.  Six sets of my closest friends got engaged this year!  That means a lot of weddings are headed my way.  While I myself am opposed to walking down the aisle, I have a no-so-secret love for planning weddings.  I love love!


7. Dodgeball
 The year I started playing dodgeball.  The year we formed our team Junk Shot.  The year our family expanded and we took our craziness to a whole new level.  Just watch the video.

6. Coachella
Never, ever have I experienced such a musical extravaganza.  It was overwhelming, amazing, inspiring, and everything else under the sun.  Yeah, we were in the desert and it was F'ing hot.  And really cold at night.  So much fun I had to make a video about it.

5. Wildcats
There are few things in this world that I love more than being a Wildcat.  You know this.  There are few things I love more than football and tailgating and mimosas with my beloved friends. Even though I'm half a planet away, I've somehow managed to get myself to games regularly!  The year got started with tickets to a UCLA/Arizona basketball game landing in my lap.  And in October I was home for UCLA/Arizona football with my bestest friends of both Bruin and Wildcat persuasion.  And the best part of it all was taking my godson, the littlest Wildcat, to his first football game. 

4. Rock N Roll LA Half Marathon & other races
Have you met me?  This is a miracle.  And the crazy part is, I was smiling and laughing the whole time.  (Maybe I really have gone insane)

3. Chengdu
Never was there a homoliday so epic as the Easter trip to Chengdu.  We ate burn-your-face-off spicy food every 90 minutes.  And flushed it down with massive amounts of beer.  We climbed a mountain, battled monkeys and pandas, soaked in hot springs...  in general this was really ridiculous and one of the best times I've had with my HK family.

2. Godsons
Sharing the same name and born a week apart, my godsons entered this world in 2010 and will forever continue to change my life. 

1. Den of Evil
I'm a very bad person, but the Den of Evil was my favorite event of 2010.  Sorry, but, no pictures from that night will appear on the internet.  Nor will you get the full story on the web.  But if you ask nicely, perhaps I'll tell you about it in person.


This top 10 was just the beginning, but there's not enough room on the internet for all the amazing moments I had last year.  Thank you 2010, it's been real.

No comments: