Thursday, February 28, 2008

Happy 30 Years PFC Pepper!

_MG_1862.JPG

The original plan was Medieval Times for the dirty 30. It would have been a riot. But then my move disrupts everything. I was supposed to go home to LA and meet Pepper there, but it was a good thing we didn't because I wouldn't have been able to be away from the office for long. Everything really worked out. Pepper was able to get here for his R&R, and we'd be meeting my family in the Philippines. Not bad for a 30th celebration I think, but I was still stressed out to do something cool for the day.

Lots of Stanley

I decided on the little beach town Stanley, which is on the opposite side of the island and only a quick bus ride. Pirates were once active in this area, and now it's home to a market, temples and netted beaches to protect swimmers from sharks.

Stanley

A little temple
I was looking for the Tin Hau temple, but this is not it.

Stanley

Stanley Market

Batman at the Stanley Market
Batman at the Stanley Market.

I bought Pepper a nice stone chop (stamp) with his name in English and Chinese, and he bought some chopsticks for his friends.

VD decor
Hongkies are really into holidays, eastern and western. Here's something leftover from VD.

Tin Hau Temple in Stanley
Eventually we found the Tin Hau temple, but by that time it was closed.

We got back to Central-ish a little later. I had no dinner reservations because I didn't want to be rushed. I'm also still green when it comes to the foodie scene, and since the boy wanted steak, I was able to get us a last minute table at Lawry's, and we'd both never been.

The Carving Cart
The famous carving station.

Lawry's Prime Rib

A whole lot of LOBSTER
And a whole lotta lobster.

Brian's Bday dinner at Lawrys
Didn't forget the veggies.

IMG_0026.JPG
Fed and happy.

And then, no birthday celebration would be complete without a trip to Lan Kwai Fong. We heeded Eamonn's advice and avoided Wan Chai, as birthday boys tend to disappear in Wan Chai. We bumped into a handful of my gal pals who were on their way to Dragon-I, the "it" club of HK, where models and triads mingle. A few drinks there and a few drinks at Bar George made one Happy Birthday.

No comments: