Monday, March 27, 2006

Memoirs of a Geisha, a novel

Example
Memoirs of a Geisha (1997)
Author: Arthur Golden

Jag rates it 3.5 out of 4 Stars.

When I first started working in TV, the receptionist was reading Memoirs of a Geisha, and since then I'd been wanting to read it. This gal was on her 3 reading of the book and loved it, along with many friends who've loved it. When the movie came out, I moved it towards the top of the priorty list so I could see it before the movie.

The book wasn't as compelling as I hoped it would be. I read it much slower than expected. I did love the very beginning with her disintegrating family, and I did love her relationship with Nobu. However everything seemed drawn out, but I'll accept it as written as a memoir. But, it seemed to really fall apart at the end when we find out what happens between her and the chairman... a few more facts... and then it ends. Once again, I prefer the sad stuff....

1 comment:

Pirooz M. Kalayeh said...

I just watched Geisha. I liked the movie until the end. It was pretty hard to believe the Chairman and her got together. I felt like it needed to end sadly. Or, if the book goes there, just have the movie end with them not being Geisha anymore.