Friday, March 17, 2006

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything (2005)

Example
by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
4 out of 5 stars

(Could I be procrastinating on the Oley Wedding Blog? I coordinated the dang thing, why is blogging it sound so daunting? Soon enough folks, coming soon I promise)

I just finished Freakonomics. It was chosen as this month's book club reading pick (my book club, not Oprah's) and I pushed for it since I've been wanting to read it. It's not really what I expected but that's ok. I must say that I did enjoy economics in high school and college. It was the one business class I actually understood.

I recommend this book to everyone. It's facinating, you know, things that make you go hmmm. It's a very quick read so when it comes out on non-large print paperback pick it up.

To entice you, here are the chapters:
1. What do school teachers and sumo wrestlers have in common?
2. How is the Ku Klux Klan like a group of real estate agents?
3. Where have all the criminals gone?
4. What makes a perfect parent?
5. Would a Roshanda by any other name smell as sweet?

I hope you read it, so we can talk more about it. And if you're wondering where have all the criminals gone, well, they were never born. Thank Roe v. Wade.

Do I still have you interested? You can also see the Freakonomics website with reviews, author blogs, and more.

No comments: