Tuesday, June 14, 2011

30 for 30 Challenge

Tops from Off 5th/ Arden B / Urban Outfitters / Gap / H&M / Ann Taylor / H&M
I am taking the 30 for 30 challenge. That's 30 articles of clothing to make 30 outfits for 30 days. The official rules are here and you can participate too.

The main objective of this exercise is to make the most of what you got, to shop your closet, and to get more creative with what you're already working with.

I have a couple of my own rules.  For example, should I need to stray from this selection for a special occasion I can take the day off, but will add an extra day and outfit to make up for it.  Shopping is allowed during this period but only for essential items (aren't they all essential?)  This could be the awesome white dress I've been hunting for.  Where are you?  Anyway, other amendments: I'll stick to my shoe selection unless circumstances need me to make a substitution.  Circumstances being stuff like amber rainstorms or blisters or major soreness from running.  Final amendment (maybe) : if necessary I will add an extra layer for office appropriateness.  We are pretty casual in the office, but I'm still the boss.

The selection process wasn't too hard.  Since its summer in Hong Kong, you basically have to wear as little as possible.  I retire all pants for at least 6 months.  Seriously.  I've done this the last 3 years and don't see it changing any time soon.  I eliminated any heavy fabrics or fall/wintery wardrobe items, which was a decent chunk of my closet.  I focused on things that looked like summer, and I tried to get some color, print, texture in there for fun and more of a challenge.  Keep in mind my closet is only this big (stretch out your arms, ok, it's smaller than that :(  ) so this is what I was left with.

11 Tops 
For some reason I ended up with all warm colors.  One orange halter is not pictured since it was hanging to dry.

Black tank (Nordstrom?) / Nordstrom Mustard tee / H&M striped tee

2 Sweaters
Old Navy rugby stripe / Anthropologie stripe with applique
Another great mystery.  Why did I end up with only striped sweaters?  When I eliminated the heavy wool sweaters, fall argyles, etc, this is what I was left with.


2 Shorts
Old Navy camouflage / H&M shorts
Gray linen and camo.  Basics in my closet.




2 Skirts
Both from Zara
This skirting thing is new to me.  I know that's weird, but I've been living in dresses for like 5 years.


6 Dresses
Calvin Klein / H&M / Target / Nordstrom Rack x 2 / Target
Did I mention I live in dresses?  Hopefully this range will get me through work, socializing, errands, beach, etc.

5 Shoes
Blue low heel from some boutique in Santa Monica / Target flat sandal / brown pump also from some Santa Monica boutique / Sam Edelman wood wedges (my new bff) / Nine west oxfords
It turns out I like brown shoes.  Ok, that's one thing on my to-do list, bring more color to my shoe closet.  This also does not include commuting in flip flops, which I will not give up.  Sorry.

Ok so that leaves me with only 28 pieces.  It was late when I planned this last night, and I think I wanted 2 slots for a wild card.  Let's do this!

2 comments:

Brittney said...

good for you! i'm totally participating, although i'm afraid my wardrobe is heavy on the wintery stuff. so it'll take some serious creativity to turn it into fresh-springtime. good luck to us both!
-brittney
http://adayinlifetoo.blogspot.com (fellow 30x30 remixer; come on by if you'd like!)

Christine Jag said...

Hi Brittney, thanks for stopping by! I have a lot of fall stuff... browns and olives, so I'm doing my best to heat things up. Good luck!
xxx