Monday, August 11, 2008

8.8.08: Olympic Opening Ceremonies

I failed miserably in my attempt to get caught up blogging by now. So, I'm just going to stick with current events and try to get caught up with June and July before the summer's over!

So, I had this great idea. I have a lot of them, but most of them I don't dare speak of in public. I took a chance and sent an email to some of my American friends out here. I wanted to make a shirt for "Team America." Yes that's right, as in reference to the movie. This is what I came up with:

20080808 483

20080808 502

That's right. I went there. Turns out others were willing to go there with me. So I had this shirt made and suggested we have an opening ceremonies party since we needed a venue to show off our awesome tees. Donni reserved us a spot at Bulldogs Bar and Grill, and it was definitely a top 10 moment of my life.

20080808 406

20080808 469

It was a special night for two reasons: 1) It was especially meaningful to be an American abroad, celebrating the American spirit with good friends away from home. 2) The Olympics is HERE. Well, not exactly here, kinda sorta but not really. It's a really cool thing to feel American pride when you're surrounded by Chinese/Hongkongese, and while still trying to compete with the Aussies, Brits, and Canadians!

20080808 420
Needless to say, the shirts were a huge success.

20080808 491
Earlier that day, this dude chased us down at the MTR and begged us for a shirt. He was my first sale and one of the few outsiders who were privileged enough to score a shirt. He somehow found us at the bar.

20080808 486
The show was amazing and we were screaming, "FUCK YEAH" the entire time. Four of us lost our voices.

20080808 490
It was a little tiring waiting for Team USA to come out, but 100% worth it because when they did, the bar played AMERICA FUCK YEAH for us. Yeah, I had it on my ipod... producer habits are hard to break. A top 10 moment for sure!

Four hours later, we were ready to hit the streets of Lan Kwai Fong. It was magic, and I bumped into a bunch of people I haven't seen in forever!

20080808 492
Including Natalie

20080808 495
Aussie Monica

20080808 493
Jaeger

And the Aussie Pilot crew. The night was especially triumphant because Sebastien's first nephew finally decided to make an appearance. We think he was just holding out for the birthday 8.8.08. Amazing!

No comments: