Monday, April 07, 2008

It's Called Work for a Reason

Back in the day, when I used to complain about my job, my dad would always say, it's called WORK for a reason. That's why they have to pay you to do it.

When I put my mind to something, I'm amazed at how things actually come to fruition. Live without a car? Check. Travel more? Check. Fill up the passport? Nearly there.

However there are some things that no matter what I do, no matter where I go or how far I run, I can't escape.

On my way out of TV, I just wanted a regular job. Something I could do during regular hours, get regular benefits, regular holidays. My goal was to be LESS of an acheiver, so I could actually enjoy my life. At times, yes, I can leave at 5:30. I now have a regular paycheck, and someday I'll enjoy regular benefits. I still will never get OT, never get public holidays, but whatever. Turns out running a foreign office is pretty darn consuming. It's a good thing that everyone else I know in Hong Kong works til 2 AM and on weekends, so they won't notice. I didn't have to come back to the office after that 5:30 meeting, but here I am, two hours later, and I have always been guilty of not being able to leave the office.

All the big plans (not work related) remain on the backburner, and that's fine. The illiterate Nepalese kids will just have to wait a little longer for their books.

Now back to that spreadsheet...

No comments: