Wednesday, November 21, 2007

It's Called Foreshadowing.




The spring before last, I went to Tucson with Lettie while she was being wooed by UofA. We attended a dinner and I sat next to a faculty member who recently moved from six years in Hong Kong. I asked her how she liked it. She said she loved it. I thought maybe I should go to Hong Kong.

I was in and out and around the country for a year and a half with “Clever.” I missed my friends, I missed Silver Lake, and I decided to cool my traveling heels for a little while and take a job at home. However, this was not the universe’s plan for me.

I had a couple of opportunities that never worked out. I pursued a job in SF that would have been a year of production work, and that didn’t work out. But it did get me to thinking that maybe, just maybe I could be ready for a regular paycheck. I looked into government work, which I’ve been thinking about for a while, but since I do not have a Ph.D and firearms skills I’m not even qualified to be a janitor.

The pocketbook had been empty for too long when, before tagging along with my father on a business trip throughout Asia, my mother said, “Why don’t you work in the Hong Kong office?” And I said, “Ok.”

I leave Friday. I’m really excited about going, but stressed out about leaving. I just started packing on Sunday and have not a lot of time left to do so because I just started working in the Northridge office. I’ve squeezed in some time for friends, and I feel like a jerk for not having more time to say good-bye, but that just means I’ll just have to come back soon. Which I will. When I was a recruiter for UofA, and those Valley parents would express sadness for having their children go to school so far away (a whopping 1 hr plane ride), I would tell them that they always come back. And they do.

No comments: