Friday, August 07, 2009

When it Rains, Baby Showers


Mums to be in order of due date! Emily, Janie, Nadia and Andrea.

It's August and the weather is nothing but hot and humid with showers!

A hot and humid dense metropolis is not the most comfortable place to be in. Especially when you don't have a car (a/c) and have to haul it around town. I hate showing up to places dripping, makeup sweated off, and hair matted to my face. It doesn't help that it's been raining a lot lately and ruining all chances of beach weekends. We've had a couple of typhoons and an amber rainstorm recently, but nothing timed well enough for us to get a day off of work :(

I'm getting a bit restless. I'm overdue for a trip out of town!

Things are pretty normal. Work, piano, gym, veg in front of the tv, shower rinse repeat. I haven't been sick in nearly 2 months and it feels great. And now I've gotten myself back into a good routine!




The above picture is an easy night catching up with my mates at Cochrane's: Amy, Ali, Jeff, and Liz. I see Amy every now and again but not nearly as much as I would like. And everyone else I don't think I've seen outside of book club, so we are long overdue for a happy hour. It's a bit difficult with conflicting schedules and everyone living all over the place. You understand.



Then came Emily's baby shower. It was intimate and sweet. Since I actually don't know Emily that well, I took a peek on to her Facebook to see what she likes. She's very girly, is having a girl, loves pink, loves things that sparkle, and loves food. Cooking, baking, eating, everything. I found this great kitchen shop called Pantry Magic near my apartment and bought her loads of red and pink kitchen goodies. And also found a little cooking kit for the baby! It had a mini rolling pin and everything! So, a gift for mum and a gift for bubs.

It was a great day. No games. Good company. The host's mum was so sweet and completely in love with me. Such a lovely lady. We pigged out on cupcakes and savory muffins, and I had loads of champagne.

This baby shower and hanging with this crew put me in check. Most of my friends here are my age-ish, bankers, lawyers, ridiculously successful, and know how to live the high life. One of my dear friends recently ended a relationship of 6 weeks... which was a decent amount of time for him! A few are in relationships, none are married, none with kids, and we like it that way. But this is not how the rest of the world works.

My other circle of friends, Cathay Pacific pilots, wives, GFs, families are much more grounded (ha), but even then it's a different lifestyle than... I don't even know. I don't know what's normal. I come from TV. But man o man is this crew a fertile bunch!! At Em's shower, 1 gal had a baby and 3 more gals were expecting! More champagne for me!

For the record, out of this circle of friends I'm the only non-Cathay wife, and the only American. Represent! Everyone's Aussie, with a couple Canadian's sprinkled in.

And while we're talking about Aussies...

Breakfast is breakie. Drink is bevvie. Champagne is champers. Stroller is pram. Crib is cot. Herbs is said with the 'h.' Mom is mum of course. and everyone has a nickname.

The following Sunday I went to another baby shower!



This was my first trip to Discovery Bay. Kinda Stepford and as suburban as it gets in Hongkers. People call it Dogs and Babies because that's where you go to have them.

Mum-to-be Janie does not know the sex. I saw the nursery last week and it's filled with a lot of red. She loves red. So I knitted little "Wilbury" a red beanie! And got a cushy black and white and red book too. There was one more expecting mum at Janie's shower! I'm not drinking the water, but I'll have another champagne thanks!

Babies babies and more babies! On Monday, I was told by my college bud that he is also expecting!!! OMG!! I know tons of people having kids but this is the first of my inner crew. OK technically Tess was the first baby but that's a different ballpark. THEN yesterday Meredith tells me that Melissa is expecting AND due on Saturday!! Holy shitballs.

Please pass the champagne. The weather is treacherous!

No comments: