Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Reflections of a VD




Out of the decade of wonder with my parter, we've only actually spent a few Valentines together.

There was the first, which was kind of lame since I opted for dinner with Sarah and Milian, but I got my first nice real gift. How did an 18 year old know that we'd be "Together forever in love?" I don't know, but it's' etched in glass to prove it. The other VD's are a blur. Once Brian showed up in Tucson as a surprise, but he missed VD by half an hour. And last year, if you can believe it, we were actually together. We didn't have enough time to have a nice dinner, but I had a cookie at the Walt Disney Concert Hall.

This year, another year that we are apart for VD, I decided to start a new tradition.

I don't expect any man to understand my taste in jewelry. At least not while he's in a different zip code. I'm not a flowery kind of girl. And I don't have a sweet tooth. I don't have any room for a stuffed animal or any other kind of knick knack. So I imagine getting me a VD present can be quite daunting.

In Spain, the equivalent to VD is St. George's Day. St. George is the patron saint of Catalonia and soldiers. St. George's Day is celebrated on the same day as the book and rose fair, to commemorate Cervantes. Traditionally, a man receives a book, and the lady receives a rose. I like this idea a lot better than what we celebrate. So from now on Brian and I exchange books (since I already said I'm not a flowery girl). And this makes most sense since we are very nerdy like that.

I snow storm or something of that nature has prevented me from receiving my book and when I get it I'll also let you know what Brian's present was.

I don't know what to make of VD. I have mixed emotions because while everyone is blissful I just want to wear all black and my Fuck Off shirt. I've spent just about every VD without a partner, and that's ok. It's ok because I am very happy to spend an evening with the girls and treat myself to a nice dinner and know that I made myself happy. It's ok because I have amazing friends who are brilliant and I love knowing they are out there in the world and I love knowing that I have the opportunity to appreciate them.

Did we need VD to tell us to feel sappy (or crappy?) I'd rather be surprised with a bathroom filled with makeup on tax day.

Whatever your feelings, let's not forget that Valentine was martyred on this day 1737 years ago.

Coming Soon... reflections on Oscar picks and the Olympics with an emphasis on curling.

No comments: